Monday, February 12, 2024

See the constellations in 3D!

2D image of the main stars of constellation Orion.

I figured out how to create stereoscopic image pairs using Paint.net and decided to render the main stars of various constellations in 3D, starting with Orion.

Maybe it's because I have almost no depth perception, but I have always been fascinated with 3D images- either stereoscopic, where you defocus your eyes and fuse side-by-side image pairs, anaglyphs that use those Devo-ish red and blue glasses, or even animated wigglegrams

I also love a clear dark night when you can gaze up and see the sky as a window out into the universe, rather than stars on a two-dimensional dome, as in the image above. Planetariums used to be like that, before they added all the lasers, images, and fancy stuff. The lights would dim and the sky would appear, as if the dome had been lifted and you were actually looking out into the night sky, and they would highlight the constellations, the ecliptic, the Milky Way...

Seeing the Milky Way as a galaxy viewed from our place in one of its spiral arms, or realizing that the star patterns are mostly just alignments of stars at vastly different distances are very fulfilling experiences. I hope these 3D constellations make it easier to see the sky the way it really is. I will add more as I am able. I've started with Orion, Taurus, and Ursa Major.

Select it from the "Quick hops" on the right or click below:

3D Stereoscopic Constellations

No comments:

Post a Comment