Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Lots of observations

Screenshot from my AstroNotes database
I've collected quite a few observational notes over more than 30 years of observing. I do very little observing lately because of my declining health (cancer), but I have personal observing logs going all the way back to around 1990. Because I don't do equipment reviews and want to provide unique material whenever possible, I thought I'd start posting some of my observations from over the years. I hope you might find them useful when comparing to your own observations.

I have always been casual with my observing logs. They are not a scientific record, but more a personal record of my stargazing adventures. A couple years ago I wrote a post about how I do my logs, and I started extracting the notes for specific objects and putting them into a database. What I think I'll do is start posting some extracts from that database. I'm hoping this will be of interest when you make your own observations and want to compare what you saw with what someone else saw. I've always enjoyed that myself.

Stay tuned for the first posts. I think I'll organize them by constellation and then maybe group them by type of object (galaxy, cluster, planetary nebula, etc.). Using the "Search this Blog" function in the upper right should get you to the constellation desired and hopefully the individual object of your desire! 

I also encourage comments to share your own observations in comparison. I'm always struck by how variable my own views of the same object can be from night to night, year to year, and with different instruments. These vary from 7x35 binoculars to a 30-inch reflector (not mine, unfortunately)!

No comments:

Post a Comment